Saturday 19 February 2011

All things Nigerian

I have lived abroad going on four years now. Being away from home has heightened my appreciation of all things Nigerian. Before coming here, I could not wait to leave. I was tired of the heat, the stress, the bad roads, nosy neighbours, the joblessness of our youth, our broken down schools and most grating, our greedy leaders.

However, as much as these problems are still glaring today as they were 4 years ago, I miss the exuberance of Nigeria. To me Nigeria is like a youth, full of life, brash, know it all who has made and is still making several mistakes, refusing to listen to elders, preferring to learn from experience rather than example. One can can only hope that sooner than later, she will grow up and not regret in old age her misspent youth.



Anyway, I digress. I miss the in-your-face neighbour who knows what you had for dinner, knocks on your door anytime of the day or night just to chat or borrow the proverbial sugar. I miss the heat, but that is only during the winter and I am wearing three layers of clothing yet cannot keep warm.



The joblessness of our youth is an issue that breaks my heart. I know of people who left school ages ago and are still plodding through the streets of Nigeria trying to find employment, any employment at all that would allow them put food on the table, cloth on their backs and a roof over their heads. Over here in the west, there are even more of our youths, myself included who would like nothing better than to return home and to contribute their quota to nation building. However, the difficulty in securing jobs, the need to grease more than a few elbows to make any headway scares them.

I cannot say I miss the bad roads, I was in my hometown of Benin recently and the state governor needs  to be commended on the work he is doing on our roads. Our schools and our leaders?  well that is a topic for another day.

All in all, I miss home and when I get that feeling, I pick up my phone and call friends and through them vicariously reclaim everyday living in Nigeria. At other times, I go on youtube, watch a Nollywood movie or listen to some local artiste. This always leaves me nostalgic and never fail to relieve the pangs of homesickness.

No comments: